About Me

My photo
Wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend,student, teacher, healer, sick, spiritual daughter of light and love, spiritual mother of all and child of the ancestors.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Charles Barkley vs. the boy (dated 8/29/06)

So our family decided to go to the Jimmy V Celebrity Classic Golf Tournament yesterday. There were only a few people my husband, myself and the other grown up, Dan could decide on walking the course to see playing. One of them was Charles Barkley. Since I was the veteran Jimmy V’er(meaning I'd come at least one more time than the other two), I explained how Sir Charles sat at one of his holes and talked for like ten minutes the last time I saw him and he wasn’t much different than the person we see on TV. So, we joked about what might happen if our rising star, my son, and Mr. Barkley met. We decided that the possibility was well worth the walk to find him.
After we'd walked a bozillion miles to catch up with him, we decided to go one hole ahead of him and wait, in order to beat the rush of people in his gallery. When he arrived at our hole, there were nice pictures taken, and even a lesson in who Charles Barkley is from me to my son (basically, “that big guy there used to play basketball, and he is not a role model”—it would’ve probably included stats and number had it been my husband teaching, I think) I DIGRESS..

Mr. Barkley finally made his shot and moved on to the next hole. Nothing out of the ordinary, and I'd planned on keeping it that way--I am not into public embarrassment at the hand of Mr. Barkley. As everyone was moving and my loving husband was getting my son's hat signed, I was struggling to get my son back into his stroller—he wanted to get out and play golf and thus, started yelling and screaming and crying (he’d had no nap)…I got him in the stroller and proceeded to the next hole (trying to look like his yelling, screaming, and crying wasn't bothering me) when we heard “NO CRYING…HEY! HEY! NO CRYING! You can do anything but NO CRYING!!!”

OOPS!

I looked up and Charles Barkley was looking in our direction…uh oh...Was the boy really screaming that loud? I looked down and told my son that the ‘big man’ was telling him to stop crying, and he replied “NOOOO!” People were spreading apart like that sea Moses parted and I needed to pick a side..
I thought that a life lesson from Charles Barkley might help him understand how you need to be quiet on a golf course (even if its full of celebrities who really can’t play THAT well), so I walked the stroller a little closer to Mr. Barkley, you know, so the lesson would really be taught.

All you really need to know is that my son could’ve care less. He scrunched up his face and pouted the whole time Mr. Barkley, Sir, was talking/yelling. My child refused to smile or laugh at his joking around. Charles took his ‘golf stick’ and the kid yelled, “THAT’S MY GOLF STICK!!” as if the man wasn’t five feet taller than him and he could take him.

I think the pictures say more…and as you can see, I am only watching to make sure my kid doesn’t HIT Charles Barkley with his ‘golf stick’(something he is very well known for)...(let's never mind my belly fat or Mr. Barkley, sir's sweat stains)


Only this little boy could face off with Charles Barkley and still play golf after…Please do not interrupt this child when he wants to play golf.


2 comments:

the prisoner's wife said...

awwww....that's such a cute story!

sounds funny, too.

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite Ohene stories